Players can teleport onto the same spot

It is possible for both players to teleport onto the same spot at the same time. If you look down, you can see the other player's body where you are standing. You can teleport away just fine, but then your opponent has 20 more mana than you. :)

Frequency: Fairly often; I see it once every dozen matches or so.

Comments

• This is really a tough one. I'm thinking about whether we should make it a thing - like, think about how to fit it into the lore and make the experience cooler instead of feeling like a but. The hard part is to make teleportation snappy but also having to check with the other player what's going on there. We might fix it or improve the experience. What do you think? Could you live with a less snappy teleportation? Or could you live with that one of the players (or both) get pushed back to their original positions with this happens?

I like your thinking about the mana there. :) On the other hand, you know when it happens. Kind of like attacking from clinch in Taekwondo. :)
  • MrJRKMrJRK US
    edited August 2016
    Maybe allow the players to whack each other with their wands if theyre on the same spot haha
  • edited August 2016
    So you're saying the client does not check with the server if a destination is valid before initiating the teleport? Doesn't that open up the game to client-side cheating?

Let's say client A and client B both try to teleport at about the same time (give or take a millisecond).
    1) Client A's request reaches the server first.
    2) The server flags the spot as locked and reports back to client A that it is ok to teleport.
    3) Client A then initiates the teleport (delayed from button press by the round trip to the server).
    4) Client B's request, on the other hand, reaches the server a millisecond after client A's.
    5) The server reports back to client B that the spot is locked and the teleport is not initiated.

The other way I could see it working is if both clients maintain a local list of open spots that is updated by the server whenever anything changes. This would mean a spot might appear target-able by client B even though client A has already initiated a teleport to it because the server hasn't yet had time to update the local list (resulting in both players teleporting to the spot).

The advantage of the second method is that it would be much snappier than the first method (which must wait for a roundtrip with the server). However, wouldn't this also allow a user to falsify the local list (cheat) and teleport onto the same spot as a Demon, for example?

Am I anywhere close with any of this? :)

• I think teleport feels perfect exactly how it is. Slowing it down would probably make it feel laggy. Also, it would be harder to dodge quickly so players would probably try to keep their distance more. I like the bounce back idea or somehow working a simultaneous teleport into the mechanics much more than the idea of slowing teleport down.
  • Great input. Would love to spectate battles between you guys by the way! Will be great to see the leaderboards once that is live. Also, how do you move OccuRing? Need to see you play live. You move like Bruce Lee.
  • @RickyHelgesson
    Thanks! That's actually huge compliment! I read his book and have a lot of respect for him.

I use a swivel chair with low friction so I can spin around really fast, but I doubt that's much of an advantage over standing. I also use a controller, which probably gives me a slight advantage over those who don't. But I think the real key is being able to predict your opponent and having the right move selected.

I'm down to play right now if you are, PleasedToMeetYou.
  • edited August 2016
    @CharmedImSure
    Great games! I thought it was funny that we got the teleport bug like 5 seconds into the first game.

• The other way I could see it working is if both clients maintain a local list of open spots that is updated by the server whenever anything changes. This would mean a spot might appear target-able by client B even though client A has already initiated a teleport to it because the server hasn't yet had time to update the local list (resulting in both players teleporting to the spot).

This is very close to our implementation and yes unfortunately this creates a bunch of problems. But to keep Wands fast paced and in conjunction with what @OccyRing stated about using Teleport as a means to dodge spells, we don't want any delay on movement.

We'll of course continue discussing possible fixes. For me, @MrJRK's idea of a wand whacking competition is currently in the lead. :awesome:
  • edited September 2016
    Just to play devils advocate for a moment... Would a tenth of a second charge-up for Teleport really be a problem? You can still make it FEEL snappy by starting the audio cue and visual FX immediately on the button press (client-side). The most important thing for it to feel responsive is to provide instantaneous feedback that the button was pressed. You can hide the server check with some theatrics. Gameplay-wise, I also don't see this making it any harder to dodge attacks (which take seconds to arrive or charge-up, not milliseconds).

You would also probably need to build in a minimum charge-up time of n milliseconds (something larger than the typical latency), otherwise players would be able to feel fluctuations in their ping from teleport to teleport.

I make this argument because the benefits of letting the server be the authority on game-events are substantial. There is a whole host of glitchiness that can occur because of this issue (not just players on top of players).

That being said, you did ship with 0 latency teleports, so it would be difficult to put that cat back in the bag. ;) And for all I know, what I suggest above would feel awful...hard to say without actually playtesting it. I guess you have to decide whether you will one day HAVE to fix this, in which case it may be better to annoy 100 players now than 5000 in 6 months... :)

If you decide to just roll with it, here's my suggestion: Play it up as some horrible teleportation-gone-wrong accident and do damage over time to both players until one of them teleports away. Make sure there is lots of screaming and it looks like this when it happens:

• So is there a way to hit the opponent when happens both players fill the same spot?
    Thanks.
    :open_mouth:
  • You can always use Blazing Meteor and fire it straight into the ground but this will damage yourself as well. Or you can curve ball a Devil's Spit to make it spin around right back at you and then quickly jump away ;)

We haven't forgotten about this issue, still trying to figure out a good approach for a fix.
  • Not sure how it happened. Did we click at same time? Played w occy and killed him kamikaze style by meteoring myself lol so each tele needs like a mutex or something...
  • Just had this happen when dueling with @OccyRing last night. Hosted a game, then suddenly... I have a body! Cool! No.. wait... it's Occy. Teleport away and game continues as normal. Definitely not game breaking, but odd and probably not supposed to happen. Although it was kind of cool to look down and see what I thought was my body and my relics :awesome:
  • Fixed in 1.3.0 - Players are now pushed back to previous spot. Good discussion in this thread about the issue (and a good fix).
This discussion has been closed.